But he did not specify where or when the agent had been deployed; the White House has said more proof was needed.
Earlier, the UN said there were “reasonable grounds” to believe chemical weapons had been used.
In a new report, the UN commission of inquiry on Syria also urged foreign powers not to increase the availability of arms in Syria.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon described the atrocities listed in the report – which details evidence of fresh suspected massacres, sieges and violations of children’s rights – as “sickening and staggering”, said his spokesman.
Children have been taken hostage, forced to watch torture and even participate in beheadings, says the report.
- France says tests confirm sarin used in Syria (radionz.co.nz)
- France says sarin gas used by Syrian forces (stuff.co.nz)
- France says tests from Syria shows sarin use (aljazeera.com)
- Investigation Finds Sarin Gas Used in Syria: France (theepochtimes.com)
- France: Tests confirm sarin gas used in Syria (kvue.com)